At the eleventh hour of TPD implementation, Lord Callanan has put forward a motion to the House of Lords to stop TPD implementation. Read how vapers can support this motion…
The hugely experienced senior politician, Lord Callanan’s motion.
House of Lords Business - Link
This is a really positive new development which all vapers should not only be aware of but actively support but before that what does it all mean in plain English.
What does it mean?
It is evident from previous debates that the Lords are strongly against the TPD rules on electronic cigarettes. The Lords know this ruling stands to do more harm than good and are aware of issues with TPD’s rules on vaping.
So what this means is:
- TPD will come into effect on 20 May and
- Unless Lord Callanan is pressurised by Downing Street to withdraw his motion there will be a debate and a vote and
- If the Lords agree to this motion before 10 June (praying time of 40 days for each statutory instrument) then the statutory instrument will be blocked and the TPD implementing in the UK will fall.
Note: such procedures are called “fatal motions” because the regulations get killed outright and do not go back to the Commons.
What all vapers need to do now?
This is the time for all vapers in UK to take action and support Lord Callanan’s motion.
Remember Vapers are now numbering over 2.8 million in UK and if everyone showed their support to by tweeting, signing the petition on Change.org and emailing your local MP, Lords representative and MEP then hopefully this motion will be successful.
Show your support today to STOP this ruling which according to Department of Health’s Impact Assessment can lead to the following:
“a risk that due to the potential price increase and reduction of choice of e- cigarettes, people will choose to switch back to smoking” (paragraph 207)
“if users can’t get the desired nicotine level from e-cigarettes they may switch to cigarettes” (paragraph 200)
the number of e-cigarette products on the market could fall 96% from 25,000 to 1,000 (Annex B page 74 )
the rules could reduce e-cigarette advertising by 90% (paragraph 176)
“There is a risk that a black market will develop with potentially harmful e-cigarette products” (paragraph 208)
- Sign the petition today. Only 23k have signed where as the number of vapers are over 2.8 million. Please spread the word – share the petition to all the other vapers so we can show our support to Lord Callanan. https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-support-parliamentary-moves-to-block-crazy-e-cigarette-regulations
- Tweet: Tweet your support using hashtag #LordsVapeVote to
- And of course Email your local MP
By Vape Choice.